90% of you will have read this title and probably rolled an eyelid…well that’s if you’ve managed to get this far! But like it or not, BREEAM is here to stay!
Since the release of BREEAM New Construction 2018, we all know how difficult it is to achieve those ratings. Yes, BREEAM 2014 now seems like a walk in the park, but with the new edition just around the corner, I’m here to repeat what you’ve probably heard a thousand times, the importance of early stage credits!
I’m not going to bore you with the ins and outs of each credit, but if you want an easier BREEAM process, address the following credits at an early stage and you’ll be on track to achieve the desired rating!
Man 01 Project Brief and Design:
- Project team roles and responsibilities need to be confirmed by the end of Concept Design.
- All relevant third-party stakeholders have been consulted on the project.
- A BREEAM AP is appointed to oversee the design.
Man 02 Life Cycle Cost and Service Life Planning:
- Undertake an Elemental Life Cycle Cost Analysis by the end of Concept Design.
Hea 02 Indoor Air Quality Plan:
- Produce a site-specific Indoor Air Quality Plan.
Hea 05 Acoustic Performance:
- Consult with an acoustician to ensure compliance is met throughout the design.
Hea 06 Security:
- Appoint a Suitably Qualified Security Specialist (SQSS) to conduct an evidence-based Security Needs Assessment.
Ene 01 Reduction Of Energy Use and Carbon Emissions:
- Hold a preliminary design workshop on energy performance.
Ene 04 Passive Design:
- Appoint a consultant to undertake a Passive Design Analysis by the end of RIBA Stage 2 and ensure measures are implemented which result in a meaningful reduction in total energy demand.
Ene 04 Low Zero Carbon Technology Study:
- Appoint a consultant to undertake an LZC Feasibility study to establish the most appropriate recognised local LZC.
Tra 01 Transport Assessment and Travel Plan:
- Appoint an appropriate consultant to produce a Travel Plan with the involvement of the client or end user.
Tra 02 Sustainable Transport Measures:
- Discuss potential sustainable transport measures to incorporate within the design.
Mat 01 Building Life Cycle Assessment:
- Appoint a consultant to undertake an LCA by the end of RIBA Stage 2.
Mat 03 Sustainable Procurement Plan:
- Ensure a Sustainable Procurement Plan is in place.
Mat 06 Material Efficiency:
- Identify opportunities to optimise the use of materials in building design, procurement, construction, maintenance, and end of life.
Wst 01 Pre-demolition Audit:
- Undertake a pre-demolition audit if applicable.
Wst 05 Adaptation to Climate Change:
- Undertake a climate change adaptation appraisal for structural and fabric resilience.
Wst 06 Design for Disassembly and Adaptability:
- Undertake an analysis which include recommendations for measures to be incorporated to facilitate future adaptation.
- Appoint an ecologist to identify the sites ecological value and to ensure disturbance to life is minimised.
Keep up to date with our latest news and blogs by checking back in on our ‘News & Views’ page on the GreenBuild Consult website. Follow our social media platforms by following the icons below: